Burke Recovery is launching the Burke County’s first youth health coalition! Youth will work together to improve the health of the community. They will tackle issues like nutrition, drug use prevention, and creating safe and healthy places to work and play in Burke County.
Youth will prioritize the health needs of the County and work on projects and initiatives to create change in those areas. Sample projects include:
- Improving healthy food choices in local corner stores
- Environmental clean up days
- Hiking group fitness challenges
- Tobacco merchant education
- Participation in national awareness days like Kick Butts Day for tobacco prevention
- Youth led presentations to parents and community members on preventing substance use.
- Leading and coordinating a community walk for prevention
- Poster contests
The first meeting will occur on April 11 at 6:30 PM at Burke Recovery’s office – 203 White Street in Morganton. Pizza will be served!
Burke County citizens face a range of health problems from obesity to prescription drug addiction. To make real change, we need a new perspective, and we need to look to our future for the answers. That future is in our youth!
For more information or to get your child involved, contact Bryan Austin at email@example.com or 828-433-1221.